Daisypath Vacation tickers

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Tutoring

This is the photo of my son, sitting in front of my desk, talking about the content of the old lessons, so that I can check if he remembers right or wrong before his teachers check the next day. In Vietnam, pupils are often checked on the content of old lessons before learning new ones and get marks. I often spend my evening checking his schoolwork. And we make it our routines. He studies in his room, then moves to mum's study, takes a seat in front of mum, gives mum his notebook and says "Mum, let's start. What is the question?". I read out the headings and he tells me what it is about. When he studies English, maths and physics I come to his room and gives him a hand if he needs. Luckily, he does not always asks me for help. He sometimes complains that mum asks him to do all exercises in his exercise books :-). But if you want to study well, you have to pratice a lot. If it is a difficult exercise, mum and internet are there to assist.

I still remember his first days at secondary school. He did not know that pupils are called to the board and answer teachers questions about old lessons. So when I told him to learn some subjects by heart he felt uncomfortable. Now he knows that mum is right. Thanks to "mum" home tutor, his oral test, 15-minutes written test often get high scores. About English, I teach him and a boy of the same age from 2nd floor on Tuesday evening. I really wish he can communicate well in English when he graduates from secondary school, at 15 years old. A long journey ahead for me and him.